Date:      Tue,  3 Mar 2009 22:38:11 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Stef <stef-list@memberwebs.com>
To:        Paul Wootton <paul@fletchermoorland.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Cache <c-h@mail.ru>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! zpool corrupted!

Paul Wootton wrote:
> If the SMART data from the drive does not show bad then I would probably agree
> that the drive ok.

I've seen many drives with unreadable blocks, that don't show any
problems in the SMART error logs. The SMART statistics on those drives
are slightly different, but nothing that distinguishes it from an okay
drive that has remapped a few sectors.

I think that FreeBSD's timeouts are usually much higher than that of
many 'desktop' drives. The drive will keep trying to read the sector
long after FreeBSD has given up. Eventually the drive semi-succeeds and
then doesn't consider it a failure. Ergo no SMART error log.

Cheers,

Stef