Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:34:52 GMT
From:      hopcrof@ibm.net (Stanley Hopcroft)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How can I avoid Bus Error when running Linux applications please ?

Dear Ladies and Gentleman,

I am writing to ask your help in running linux applications on FreeBSD 2.1.

My results are like Mr Doug White (& at least 2 others who have written to
this list, that after installing the shard and dynamically loaded libraries
and loading the linux kernel module (which is visible in modstat) that in
Xfree86 windows the application abends with a SIGNAL 10 (bus error).

This is Mr Whites description :-
I compiled the sources from freebsd-current as indicated, created the
/compat/linux/* as directed, and are loading the lkm at boot time.  But,
when I try to run a Linux X application, like xdoom:

gdi,ttyp2,~/bin,54>./xdoom
Bus error

Another writer has stated that linux applications also abend when run
outside of X-Windows

Running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE, Xf86 3.1.2s.

Yours faithfully

Stanley Hopcroft
Australian Industrial Property Organisation
(Aust govt agency that sells Patents Trade Marks etc)