Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:54:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        stuart@sigterm.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ping: no buffer space available

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I recently had an ADSL connection installed.  I connected it to a Pentium 75
>to gateway for a small network.  After a while (anywhere from 2 to 36 hours)
>the connection hangs.  When I try to ping from the gateway to the outside
>world I get the following message:

This may or may not be the same as your problem, but...

I had similar experiences when running ppp/dsl on a P166.  About once
a week ppp would get stuck, but when I used pppctl to it to see what
was going on, it came to life again.  I meant to debug ppp, but never
took the time to do it, and instead installed a cron job that did
"pppctl /var/run/pppctl-sock show phy > /dev/null" every two minutes.
Ugly, but it sort-of worked.

After switching to a faster machine (Celeron 400), the problem has
only occured once in six months.  I suspect some kind of
timing-sensitive bug in ppp, which is more likely to show up on a
slower machine.

There might be other clues in the ppp log as well.

>ping: no buffer space available

That is the result of ppp not reading packets.

    $.02,
    /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com