Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:36:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        obrien@leonardo.net (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        khym@bga.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd messages

Mike O'Brien wrote...
> > ...IIRC, the C1*.FUP files are for the 1gig version and the C2*.FUP files
> > are for the 2gig. The ones with "W" are for the wide versions.
>
> 	Sounds dangerous.  How can I check this info before rendering
> my drive useless by loading bogus firmware?

IIRC, their loader either doesn't let you load the wrong firmware, or will
tell you which drives the firmware is for.

I always just do a 'strings' on the firmware binary first.  You'll see the
byte-swapped model numbers that the firmware is intended for.

For instance, this is from the Atlas II DAGNLYK8.FUP firmware file (which
is intended for the 4G Atlas II drives):

PX4355S0
==> XP34550S
UFCPtsnIof
==> FUPCstInfo