Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 11:03:24 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        charnier@xp11.frmug.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: no prototype for zopen

<<On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:19:07 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

>> Zopen's prototype is no longer obtained from libc.
>                                               stdio.h

> Since it is used in more than one module it should be in a header.
> There aren't any suitable ones.

I'm aware of only one program which uses the zopen(3) interface to
compress(1), and that's `savecore'.  I don't think anyone would be
hurt to simply remove the functionality in its entirety.  Doesn't save
much space, though...

-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin    65536 Jul  3 16:42 /sbin/savecore*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  68919 Jul 29 11:00 obj/savecore*

Furthermore, not being in any system libraries, it doesn't belong in
any header files.  Perhaps a zopen.h in the sources to compress if we
should decide to keep it.  (I would just as soon get rid of compress
entirely.)

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick