Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 10:18:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, imp@village.org, terry@lambert.org, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

> colorls has a whole bunch of problems.  However, linuxls with colors
> actually work quite nicely - it defaults to no colors (yeah!), and has
> a '--color=tty' option that will only do color sequences if you
> actually use a tty, making it work without problems in a pipe.

You know, I tried this.  It gave me a whole lot of additional
information in color of the type normally provided "in band" by
"ls -F", and it statted all the files to do it (which a normal
"ls" does not).

Then I went to my Televideo 925, and all the information was lost.
Good thing I didn't use it long enough to become dependent on it.

The problem with color utilities is that if the color is important
to their function, then their function is easily damaged by a lot
of hardware out there.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org