Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:55:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robertson <max@underdog.maxie.com>
To:        Scott Whittle <scott@patton.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Single 2.1 box for multiple tasks

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Scott Whittle wrote:

> Question:  I have been roped (semi-willing) into setting up a mail host for
> a financial institution who are trying to get into the i-net thing.  Is it
> possible
> to use a single 2.1-Stable machine for a router/gateway/nameserver/pop3 ?
Quite possible. I do it here. The same machine can also run a Web server
to give the company a presence on the net if they wanted to.

> ====56K DDS line from ISP====[DSU/CSU]---Async 57.6 out using PPP---[FREEBSD
> Box]
	I would check with your local providers before settling on that.
When we looked into it, we found both local providers we checked with charged
$100-200 more a month for 56K service than they did for 64K ISDN, and the
throughput is a lot better on the sync line.
	Also, 56K DDS is sort of a dead end, you can't upgrade it except
by replacing it. With the 64K ISDN you can expand to 128K service just by
paying your provider (and possibly your phone company) more a month. (Ours
would charge about an extra $100-200 a month to go to 128K, not bad to
double the bandwidth in one shot, and at about the same price they sell
the 56K for.)

  James Robertson
  Treetop Internet Services