Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:01:36 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@jasnetworks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very sluggish OpenGL with glTron.

Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've installed X11R6, KDE, and glTron from the ports on a fresh install of
> 4.5-Release.  I can start glTron okay, the menu screen appears, and I hear
> the music.  The problem is when I use the cursor (up or down) to select
> menu options it literally takes 3 to 5 seconds before the selection
> changes!  And if I start a game I am dead before the first frame is even drawn.
>
> Now, I don't have the best hardware to run on right now, but even with no
> hardware acceleration it shouldn't be this bad, should it?
>
> Also, I'm just now getting into X (been using FreeBSD since 1.01 but always
> as a server), and I was wondering how I can tell if my video card's
> hardware features are even being utilized?
>
> My current config (don't laugh):
>
> K6-2-300
> 96MB RAM
> Viper V550 w/16MB
>
> I have tried running with everything turned off, i.e. no walls, halos, etc.
> and even with no sound and at 320x200, nothing helps.  Any insight would be
> greatly appreciated.

Sounds like classic software rendering to me.

Try glxinfo(1), it should tell you what kind of 3D acceleration support
you
currently have.  FreeBSD's version of XFree doesn't ship with any 3D
accelleration
by default.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer