Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:14:22 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

At 3:49 PM +0200 6/17/01, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>  Is import duty the reason most cars around here seem to be European?
>  I'd estimate 50%-60% of cars on French roads are French (Renault or
>  Peugeot/Citroen), 30%-35% are from other European countries, and just
>  a handful are Japanese or Korean and very few American.

	In France, import duties are part of the reason.  The other part
of the reason is that most French people don't want to have anything
whatsoever to do with anything that isn't French.

	They buy virtually no Nokia, Ericsson, or Motorola cellular (GSM)
phones, but instead demand Sagem and Alcatel phones.  Indeed, until
relatively recently, they bought hardly any GSM phones at all, until
the fashion industry finally caught on and started pushing them as
accessories.

	And since they're primarily accessories, non-functional fakes are
widely distributed.  Consequently, they have very low penetration of
services such as SMS (Short Message System) and WAP.

	I'm sure that the same is true for cars, but it's harder to use a
non-functional car purely as an accessory.  ;-)

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */