Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 02:35:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
[ ... amusing anecdote about the difference between "American"
      and "English" ... ]

> So I thought it was indeed possible that Americans mean something
> different by "utilize" and "use".  But Merriam-Webster says otherwise.

Some of us don't condone recent changes in Merriam-Webster, and
prefer thew 1913 edition.  Luckily, it is the people, not the
dctionary companies, which define the language.

For the authoritative source for legal use of words, it really
comes down to what the definition of the word was when the
legislation was passed and/or when the lawyers who wrote the
license went to school.  Thus my preferred source for "American
English" is:

	http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/webster.form.html

...but mainly, I prefer the OED; unfortunately, if you want
access to the online copy, you have to buy a hardcopy or
subscribe (only unfortunately for those who don't do either,
I suppose).

-- Terry