Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:44:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   evaluating the popularity of the ports

What would people think of the following scheme:

	right after a port's DISTFILES are downloaded from the Internet,
	an ICMP packet gets sent to a central server with
		OS version
		package name

At fairly low cost, the importance of the ports can be much better
estimated... Some ICMP packets will get lost. Alright. Builds from
already downloaded sources will not be counted -- good. Builds from
sources on CD-ROM will not be counted -- well, it's a pity, but only
if we did an Internet download do we know we are not dramaticly
increasing someone's Internet usage (why is my modem dialing out all
of a sudden?)

I think, fetch(1) should the job -- we can add an argument to it,
which will tell it, who to "ping" upon successfull download...

For the mechanism to provide meaningful results, it should be turned
on by default. For it to be accepted by privacy advocates, it needs
to be well documented and be (very) easy to turn off.

Any comments? Or, perhaps, the logs at ftp*.freebsd.org already provide
the statistics I'm after?

	-mi