Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:59:21 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
To:        linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   contact information for ftpN.FreeBSD.org?

<<On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:46:06 -0500, linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon) said:

> I am looking for the email contact information for the maintainers of the
> main ftp sites.  I have recently written a page that attempts to show the
> status of all the uploaded packages across each of these sites.  As you
> can see from the page below, the results do not match with ftp4.FreeBSD.org
> (which I am using as my 'canonical' source.)  I'd like to find out what I
> can do to get all of the sites completely in sync.

It's not obvious to me what those numbers mean.  ftp5 is updated every
six hours, but a big ports upload may take as long as 18 hours to
synchronize.  (There is a lot of spindle contention as cvsup3 is on
the same machine.)  The ports-specific part of our refuse file looks
like this:

FreeBSD/ports/alpha
FreeBSD/ports/ia64
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-4-stable
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-4.6*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-4.7*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-4.8*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-4.9*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5.0*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5.1*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5.2*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5.3*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5.4*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-5-stable
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-6.0*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-6.1*
FreeBSD/ports/*/packages-*-current
FreeBSD/ports/i386/tmp

So we should have the 5.5 and 6.2 package sets for all architectures
except alpha and ia64.  We only have 400 Gbyte drives (two of them,
mirrored), and there isn't a lot of management support for providing
any additional resources.  Within that constraint, I've had to limit
what ftp5 carries to those versions and architectures that have a
proven and substantial constituency.  I'd probably carry -current
packages on one or more architectures before I would consider adding
other architectures that nobody uses, but even that would require
substantially more disk space than I currently have.  Right now I only
have 27 Gbytes free, and I pretty much need *all* of that just to
handle the temporary surge when a new version is uploaded.

I'd consider buying more drives myself if that would make a
substantial difference in the utility of ftp5 for some identifiable
user community.

-GAWollman