Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:09:36 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Subject:   Re: re subscribing to the list

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 05:18:37 jekillen wrote:

> I have it shut down now incase that is the situation (someone was able to
> change or corrupt the root password) But it appears that it somehow has
> just gotten corrupted so it won't work. Is that possible.
> The long and short is I want to avoid having to re install the system
> and software.

So boot into single user mode:
# fsck -p /
# mount -u /
# mount -o ro /usr
# env EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi vipw
On the root entry, change the part between the first and second colon (':') to
a star ('*'), write and exit (:wq) and set password for using passwd command.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.