Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:12:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any way to use rdump w/ssh?

'Lo all.  I don't run any of the r* (rshd, rlogind, rexecd) servers on
my machines.  I do run sshd, however, and I'd like to use rdump to
backup a filesystem to another server.  Does anyone know of a way to
get the rcmd() call in rdump to use ssh as its connection mechanism so
authentication happens, without having to hack up libc?

I fear the only way out of this is to hack rdump and replace the call
to rcmd() with code that executes ssh(1) instead to both authenticate
and issue the rmt command.  However, I figured I'd see if a more
elegant kludge exists first.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                        Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                     Powered by FreeBSD )