Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:42:25 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "Agent Drek" <drek@zupa.bigstudios.com>, <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: softupdates

FYI, I have been bit by this bug too, with softupdates enabled.
Fortunately, most of /var survived, unfortunately, /var/db/pkg was hosed and
fsck still can't clean it.  For the most part, however, softupdates have
only been helpful.  I only loose data now if I have a panic (which I don't
think has happened since I upgraded to 4.0 some time ago), X locks up, or
there was a power outage right at a time when a file was being updated.
Without softupdates, I often would loose a number of files in the above
cases, now maybe one, and that is rare.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems
Communications and Computer Services