Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:31:04 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        geoff@mccabe.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some in the press stuff

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 02:39:10PM -0400, Geoffrey Atkinson wrote:
> A melancholy look at like with Linux living next door...
>
> http://www.upside.com/Down_the_Toilet/
>
> Also, why is there no mention of the sci-fi flick "The Matrix" being done
> with FreeBSD?  I would think that such an accomplishment using FreeBSD would
> be trumpeted quite loudly......

The article did mention FreeBSD's role in the making of "The Matrix"
at the very end of the first page (mostly with reference to Jordan's
desire to see news like this get into the news media).  However I did
not get the feeling that the author's primary motivation for writing
the article was FreeBSD advocacy.  After all, we're featured in a
column called "Down the Toilet".

Admittedly, this is the first time I have ever read news stories at
this site and I have no basis for my opinion other than my first
impression, however from the sound of the first page of the article,
you'd think that all we did was sit around and complain about the
success of Linux all night long.  That's simply not true!  Bob Bruce
of Walnut Creek CDROM gave an excellent talk about his company and
FreeBSD's involvement with it; Jordan Hubbard attended and he
graciously answered our questions about the direction of FreeBSD
(even my annoying questions).  It was a great meeting.

The second page of the article was much more fair.  Too bad I didn't
notice it until I had already written half of this rant!

I have to agree with Josef Grosch that we as a group need to get off
our butts and promote FreeBSD more.  I accept this criticism of myself
wholeheartedly.  There's a great article in DaemonNews at
http://www.daemonnews.org/199904/donation.html about supporting
free software projects.  Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing that makes
this guilt-style motivation effective, but if you can get past that,
there are some great suggestions here.

-brian

--
Brian O'Shea