Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 20:18:14 +0000
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with lpr/printing.

I've followed the suggestions for setting up a printer in the FreeBSD
Handbook on the web site but when I try to print I get the following
error:

lpr: connect: No such file for directory
Jobs queued, but cannot start daemon

This happens with Text and graphic printouts.  Below is my printcap and
the shell script.  There is nothing in the errors log.

#Printcap
hplazer|hp5p|PS|lp|HP LazerJet 5p:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp5p:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/hp5p:

#!/bin/sh
#
#  hp5p - Print Ghostscript-simulated PostScript on a HP 5p
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hp5p

#
#  Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2

#
#  Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
    #
    #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
    #
    /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=lj5grey
-sOutputFile=- - \
        && exit 0

else
    #
    #  Plain text or HP/PCL, so just print it directly; print a form
    #  at the end to eject the last page.
    #
    echo $first_line && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
fi

exit 2