Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:28:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Sean T. Lamont  .lost." <zeno@serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I'm at the end of my rope

For approximately six months, a server we have been using for public
shell access has been crashing every 24-144 hours. The times are
essentially random.

It isn't dependent on a particular version of the OS ; we migrated from
2.1.5 to 2.1.7 to 2.1.7.1, same problems. It isn't the hardware, we've
swapped out the disk on three separate occasions with known working
disks. We actually physically replaced every single component with
new equipment. Absolutely nothing about this system is the same
as its original build.  (Before you say 'is the janitor turning it off,
it's in a secured, raised-floor machine room.) The only thing we've
retained is some older run-time libraries.

The only corrolation is that it seems to happen in periods of high
shell activity.

I'm beginning to think that FreeBSD just isn't suitable for a heavy load
for shell use.

Sean T. Lamont, President / Chief NetNerd, Abstract Software, Inc. (ServNet)
- Internet access * WWW hosting * TCP/IP * UNIX * Java &  WWW Development -
email: lamont@abstractsoft.com              WWW:  http://www.serv.net
"...There's no moral, it's just a lot of stuff that happens". - H. Simpson