Date:      Mon, 23 May 2016 17:37:21 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Brandon J. Wandersee" <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
Cc:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matroska video format

On Mon, 23 May 2016 10:22:32 -0500, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:
> Matroska is a truly free and open container format that's been around
> for over a decade now, and I've played *.MKV files in MPV, Parole (the
> Xfce media player), and Kodi/Plex Home Theater without having to take
> any extra steps. I haven't used VLC in a long time, but it's claim to
> fame is that it supports almost every format under the sun out of the
> box. So I would bet it's just a poorly encoded video, not a problem with
> VLC.

Using "mplayer -identify <filename>" is a good tool to check
what actually is inside the MKV container. The -dumpvideo and
-dumpaudio options can be used for further examination. In
case the file in question is just improperly encoded, this
is a good way to find out.

I'd like to repeat the suggestion to use different files and
different players. Just make sure the required libraries and
codecs have been installed.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany