Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:48:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        kam@salsolutions.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum volume restore help? *UPDATE#1

The quoted text was badly mutilated.

On Monday,  9 April 2001 at 19:10:35 -0000, Kam Salisbury wrote:
> Well, I have been trying to duplicate the situation using VMware (great
> program for anyone just "trying things out") and noticed that one of the
> steps for creating my vinum volumes from the FreeBSD Diary is that I have to
> "disklabel -e ad3" so that I can change the volume type to vinum.

Well, nothing against the FreeBSD diary, but it's sad when people
choose to read it rather than the man page:

   DRIVE LAYOUT CONSIDERATIONS
     vinum drives are currently BSD disk partitions.  They must be of type
     vinum in order to avoid overwriting data used for other purposes.  Use
     disklabel -e to edit a partition type definition.  The following display
     shows a typical partition layout as shown by disklabel:

     8 partitions:
     #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
       a:    81920   344064    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  240*- 297*)
       b:   262144    81920      swap                        # (Cyl.   57*- 240*)
       c:  4226725        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 2955*)
       e:    81920        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 57*)
       f:  1900000   425984    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.  297*- 1626*)
       g:  1900741  2325984     vinum        0     0     0   # (Cyl. 1626*- 2955*)

     In this example, partition g may be used as a vinum partition.  Parti-
     tions a, e and f may be used as UFS file systems or ccd partitions.  Par-
     tition b is a swap partition, and partition c represents the whole disk
     and should not be used for any other purpose.

     vinum uses the first 265 sectors on each partition for configuration in-
     formation, so the maximum size of a subdisk is 265 sectors smaller than
     the drive.

> I do remember last night when looking at the volume types via this
> method that there was nothing in there. In other words, there was
> not an existing entry for a 4.2BSD slice to edit into a vinum
> type...
>
> Should I just fake it and put one in?

Well, I wouldn't use the word 'fake'.  Create one.  Use an existing
entry (c, for example, which is always there) as a sample.

> Using VMware as a tool I saw the following...

Why are you using VMware?

> # /dev/ad1c:
> type: ESDI
> disk: ad1s1
> label:
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 16065
> cylinders: 254
> sectors/unit: 4095630
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  4095630        0    unused        0     0       # (Cyl.    0 - 254*)
>   e:  4095630        0     vinum                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 254*)
>
> There is not a second entry line for the slice in my system anymore. Since I
> am using the entire deidcated disk should I just duplicate the above
> line?

I don't understand the question.  You appear to have a Vinum slice.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.