Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:55:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        barry@scottb.demon.co.uk (Barry Scott)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rates calculations and the U.K.

Barry Scott wrote:

> The rates mechanism does not work for the U.K. with its tenth second
> billing.

I know. You might want to contact Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk> who
tells me for a loooong time now that the rates mechanism should be expanded
to include time based billing as in the UK.

Its very difficult to implement for me for obvious reasons, so perhaps you
can work together towards a solution for this.

> As an OO designer I'd naturally solve the rates problem with objects. Is
> there any reason why isdnd is not a C++ program using OO design?

	1) the whole billing mechanism is partly implemented in the kernel
	   and partly in isdnd: it is unlikely that C++ will ever be used
	   in the kernel
	2) as long as noone takes over the maintenance of isdn4bsd who is
	   fluent in all of its aspects and is able and willing to start
	   maintaining it with C++ code in it, there will be no C++ code
	   in isdnd or any other i4b utility, simply because i don't like
	   it. Splitting maintenance of i.e. isdnd to a different person
	   will not work, because the kernel and the userland utilities
	   are _very_ tightly coupled and this will likely lead to severe
	   problems.

Martin Husemann from time to time tries to inject strange macros from his
life in a parallel OO-universe into isdnd :-)) , but that made it so hard
(for me!) to understand the code after a month again and maintain it, that
i rejected and removed it because it costs too much of my time.

Don't misunderstand me please, i don't say C++ and OOD is bad, its just that
i want to make maintaining and enhancing isdnd for me as easy and quickly as
possible.

Anyway, i'll be happy to accept a time based billing enhancement to i4b
written in plain good old non-macrofied maintainable C using OO design ;-)

Guten Rutsch! (this is untranslatable german wishing everyone a nice party
               into newyear :-) ! ).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...