Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:01:02 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015246862.16face@mired.org>
To:        Martin "Faxér" <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>, Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mplayer with svgalib?

Martin Fax=E9r <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se> types:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:51:41 -0600
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015203102.21e367@mired.org> wrote:
> > Has anyone managed to get mplayer working with svgalib? How about
> > anything working with svgalib? It always seems to fail with "don't
> > have a graphics capable console and can't get one". I checked the F=
AQ,
> > and it doesn't work if I run the test utilities that the port doesn=
't
> > install, nor does it work if I run them as root with the console ow=
ned
> > by root.
> SVGALib has worked fine for me on both -STABLE and -CURRENT, utilizin=
> an S3 Savage4 graphics chipset on both -STABLE and -CURRENT, and an
> NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics chipset on -CURRENT.

I'm using a diamond viper with an nvidia chipset; at least it uses the
nv driver for X. Forcing it to vga doesn't' help.

> I guess some suggestions would be to make sure that your securelevel
> isn't set to anything higher than -1 and that you've got SVGALib
> set up correctly in /usr/local/etc/vga/libvga.config.

Nope, kern.securelevel is -1. I suspect the rest is correct, as the
vgatest program that the port doesn't install gives me a choice of
video modes and asks me to choose one. It errors out after I do that.

Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl> types:
> You need to have a free tty to run it. And it doesn't work here on my=

> laptop when using a ttyvX>ttyvc. So you probabely have to edit your
> /etc/ttys, turn an 'on' into an 'off' and killall -1 init.

If I do it as me, I get "can't get I/O permissions". So I run it as
root, and get "Must be owner of the tty". Changing things so root owns
both the ttyv I'm logged in on and the "free" ttyv gives me a core
dump.

Is it possible that having X running at the same time is part of the
problem?

=09Thanx,
=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=