Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:47:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qemu coredumps on RELENG_7

Sorry for replying to myself ...

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > I'm trying to use the 7.0-RELEASE (i386) ISO in qemu
 > on a RELENG_7 host (i386, too) from March 5th.
 > It always coredumps with "invalid system call"
 > shortly before starting sysinstall, unless I boot
 > with "safe mode" from the loader menu _or_ without
 > a vortual harddisk attached to qemu.

"virtual harddisk", of course.  :-)

Anyway, further examination seems to indicate that the
problem is related to harddisk DMA.  Is there a known
problem with it on FreeBSD with qemu?

Unfortunately, using PIO for the harddisk (in order to
avoid qemu crashing) makes the emulated system very
slow, so it's unusable for any production work.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie