Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:31:33 -0500
From:      Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade (vs. Portmanager) question

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

Jay O'Brien on 2005-03-27 18:20:00 -0800:

> Now, pkg_info says I have 10 packages installed; added were ezm3,=20
> gettext, gmake, libiconv, libtool, portupgrade,ruby and ruby18. If=20
> these all required to make portupgrade or perl work, where is that=20
> reference?

They are required to build and run portupgrade.  If you do a 'make search
name=3Dportupgrade' from /usr/ports, it will list all the dependencies.
=20
> PS.. I tried to install portmanager again, and this time it got the=20
> files immediately and installed fine. It took about a minute, not two=20
> hours. It reports that all my ports are up to date. Whew.

That's because portupgrade did all the work :)  If you had run
portmanager before running portupgrade, you would have seen something
similar - portmanager taking two hours and portupgrade taking almost
no time at all.

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx--