Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:30:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: using tcpdump effectively

On 16-Jun-98 Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 08:29:47PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>>

>> > To trace down why some network based X11 sessions are spuriously failing
>> > I' trying to use tcpdump.
>> >
>> > What sporadically happens is that a X session to our Mentor Design
>> > Architect
>> > running on HP  is ceased and the connection breaks (we login via rlogin
>> > and start the X client with DISPLAY set to the FreeBSD machine.)
>> >
>> > When the connection breaks we see something like 'no route to host'

Who is loosing the route ? Displaying-machine or the machine running the app ?
What about running a continious ping from the displaying-machine to the
HP-machine to keep the route up. If this helps, there is really a routing-
problem.

How are the routes build up ? Routing daemon or static routes ?

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>