Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:11:54 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3 kernel build failure (continued)

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 05:49:32PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:33:01 +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > > As in prevous message:
> > >
> > > 3.3 upgrade from install floppy.
>
> Just to confirm -- you're now using 3.3 sources with a 3.3 compiler and
> tools, right?

Yes, hope so. I made

cd /usr/src/gnu
make all
make -i install

And building the kernel now worked fine for me.

> > > controller      ppbus0
> > > controller      vpo0    at ppbus?
> > > device          lpt0    at ppbus?
> > > device          plip0   at ppbus?
> > > device          ppi0    at ppbus?
> > > device          pps0    at ppbus?
> > > device          lpbb0   at ppbus?
> > controller iicbus0
> > controller iicbb0
> >
> > device ic0      at iicbus?
> > device iic0     at iicbus?
> > device iicsmb0  at iicbus?
>
> Wow, you must be doing some hardcore shit there if you need all that.
> What bit-banging do you need to do with all that?  if you just added it

I wanted to usr the bt484 code  (device bktr0). It seems to
include all that bit banging stuff.

> because it's in LINT and you don't actually need it, try replacing it
> with:
>
> controller	ppbus0
> device		lpt0	at ppbus? # Printer
> device		plip0	at ppbus? # TCP/IP over parallel
> device		ppi0	at ppbus? # Parallel port interface device
>
> You may not even need plip0 and ppi0, actually.
>
> If you actually need the bit-banging iicbus, you'll have to wait for
> someone with more clue to help you past yuour compilation errors.
>
> Be careful about using LINT as a reference when you're constructing a
> kernel.  Rather look at GENERIC and fall back to LINT where necessary.

My last reboot failed so I had to drive back to the campus
to see that the boot was panicking because I had an
unknown CPU type 'Celeron'.

I thought I586_CPU would be a suitable option but it doesn't seem.