Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:15:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP server for FreeBSD 4.0

> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:43:20 +0200
> From: Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > > From: "Charles Peters - Tech Support" <support@tecpro.com>
> > > Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:24:46 -0400
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > >
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > I am running a FreeBSD 4.0 server router/gateway to provide
> > > internet access for my lan via a cable modem, and I have decided
> > > that I need a to set up a dhcp server on this machine to
> > > dynamically assign ip address to my client workstations running
> > > Win98 and Win95.
> [...]
> > I would suggest the ISC dhcp server. Their client (dhclient) is part
> > of the FreeBSD base system, but they also have a server. In fact, the
> > server came first.
> [...]
>

> May I ask, how do you get DHCP-generated IP addresses into the DNS? I've
> got a DHCP server that assigns addresses just fine, but they can't be
> looked up because only the fixed addresses are in the DNS. Windows
> clients can find each other via WINS, but that isn't enough in the long
> run, I'll need the DNS lookup sooner or later.
> I could, if that helps, have the master DNS and the DHCP-daemon on the
> same computer. Perhaps one could let the DHCP server modify the zone
> file and issue a "ndc reload" when a lease is assigned? But I'll have to
> handle expired leases too.

To do this you will need a combination f DHCP V3 and DNS Dynamic
Updates. I'm not sure of the status of the DNS updates being generated
by V3, but I know that it was planned.

The idea is that you set DNS to allow-updates from the DHCP server for
a suitable zone. It hands out the address and registers the system in
DNS. I can't say for sure if it all works in the current beta,
though.

To check this out, see the ISC web site,
http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.html

What I and most sites do is simply create a series of fixed names in
DNS for the DHCP pool. Things like dyn4-203, dyn4-204, etc. While
these allow reverse DNS to work for contacting system that verify the
IP address, it's probably less than you want and maybe less than you
need. You can configure DHCP to look-up an IP address in DNS when
assigning it and providing the DNS server, domain and name in the
response. This works well.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)