Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:19:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, jwd@FreeBSD.ORG (John W. De Boskey), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp vs. nfs install times

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
 > In message <200010260637.e9Q6bbK53295@zibbi.icomtek.csir.co.za>, John Hay write
 > s:
 >
 > >> Try disabling newreno in both ends:
 > >>
 > >> 	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.newreno=0
 > >>
 > >> On my laptop with Wavelan cards this increases TCP throughput by a
 > >> factor of 5.
 > >
 > >Yes, that makes a HUGE difference. I only did it on the current box.
 > >Internat is still running 4.x and don't have it. I think it made more
 > >than a factor of 5 difference here. :-)
 >
 > I sent packet traces to yan some time back, but have not heard from him
 > since.  I wonder if we should disable newrene for now...

That would be a shame.

It makes a huge difference when shovling bits across my DSL line to my
-stable laptop.  Running netperf from a -current alpha with newreno, I
consistantly see 650-700Kb/s.  From a -stable i386 without newreno, I
see variable results from 300-500Kb/sec with large stutters, so to
speak, where there is no traffic at all for one second (or at least I
don't see any packets in systat -tcp 1).

I hope this problem can be fixed -- I was actually hoping that newreno
could be MFC'ed.

Drew