Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 96 23:28:40 PST
From:      Sann Yam <syam@futon.sfsu.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't boot up

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Sann Yam wrote:
>
> >    I'm trying to install the FreeBSD ver 2.1 on my machine, and
> > everytime it boot up to the point after the VGA setting, it says
> > "change root devic to wd1a", and then there's message that says
> > panic, cannot mount root... and then the system gives 15 sec to stop from
> > rebooting.  EVerytime I get to this point, there always this message
> > to reboot, and the machine reboot itself after the 15 sec.  Can you
> > tell me what is the problme. I tried to disable the conflicts drivers,
> > but still get that panic message, seem like a kernel's problem that
> > always want to change the mounting.
>
> Try giving the location explictly through the Boot: prompt instead of
> taking the default.
>
> For your system, it would be:
>
> wd(1,a)/kernel
>
> To boot a kernel on the second IDE disk.

Hi Doug,
  yeah, I tried that wd(1,a)/kernel and still get the same rebooting
message, I forget to mention that I installed on my second drive on D:\
and my c:\ is  DOS.  I partitioned my D:\  for freeBSD, it also has DOS
in there too.

And another thing is, that I have a 1.6 Gig space on my D:\ and when I do
the partitioning , it only shows that I have 1551MB, I think this is the max
DOS can handle and FreeBSD read that info from DOS so it gets the same size,
do  you know if I can configure it to a higher size so it will see that
I have a 1.6 Gig instead of a 1551MB.  In DOS, I actually used the LBA(someeting like that in the BIOS) and it can actually use up to 1.6 gig.

any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
-Sann,