Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        hcremean@vt.edu
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Since the MicroSloth(tm) jokes have been flowing...

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Lee Cremeans wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 1997 at 05:56:44PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > This is more than a little irritating.  It's nearly impossible nowadays to
> > buy a PC without contributing to MS, whether you intend to run Windows or
> > not.  They _didn't_ fairly win the market, they _aren't_ fairly keeping
> > the market, sure they have good tools, because they have outright stolen
> > what they couldn't buy (see Stacker!).
>
> This is why I decided a while back not to buy a whole computer again, to
> just buy the parts piecemeal.  I don't use or like Windoze that much, so
> why should I have to pay for a copy?

Agree completely.  I'm doing a project for the University of Maryland,
using Borland tools to do a very stripped down 32 bit OS for students.
The most difficult part?  Avoiding all the Microsoft hooks in the code,
which means decompiling the obj files and literally plucking out the
Windows calls.

Folks in Congress won't help, I think, although this is the most egregious
monopoly in our history, because Windows is the only OS they know, and
they're literally scared what would happen if it wasn't universal.  They
know very little, and don't want you to know that.

> --
> Lee C. -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet #watertower)
> A! JW223 YWD++^i WK+++r P&B++ SL+++^i GDF- B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Di
> $++ E5/10/70/3c/73ac Ee34/1/36 H2 PonPippi Ay77 M | hcremean (at) vt.edu
> FreeBSD/Linux/Unix hacker...Win95 and M$ evil! (go see www.freebsd.org)
> My home page: http://wakky.dyn.ml.org/~lee | finger me for geek code

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |