Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:24:09 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Too many binary packages are missing

>I am updating i386 system (portupgrade -aP) and whole lot of binary
>packages are missing.
>For example, gcc-4.5.0, qt4-corelib are examples of large packages that
>are missing that don't require too many dependencies and are very basic.
>
>I know, it may be caused by failed dependencies, copyright restrictions,
>etc. But it's hard to imagive why they are missing for these two: no
>copyright restrictions, and almost no dependencies.
>
>This unfortunately slows down many people.
>Is there any solution to this problem? Maybe people just forget about
>this build server and some minor fix wil help?

Maybe some other ports have licenses that prevent the distribution of
packages, but not lang/gcc45 and devel/qt4-corelib.  Where did you
instruct portupgrade and the base system package tools to look for
them?   Is your ports tree up-to-date?  I see, on the ftp servers:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/lang/gcc-4.5.0.20090924.tbz

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/lang/gcc-4.5.1.20100701.tbz

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9-current/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz

Also:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/devel/qt4-corelib-4.6.3.tbz

etc.  Why did you think that they were missing?  Incidentally, the
latest version of lang/gcc45 is a snapshot of gcc 4.5.2, so ports or
packages that want gcc 4.5.0 are outdated.

There are localized versions of the stable OpenOffice port available
for FreeBSD 8-* (and some older ones for FreeBSD 7-* ) available at:

http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/

although the latest snapshots appear only to be built for U.S. English
and Japanese at that server.

b.