Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 04:53:19 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> >         i dont believe that atheists are evil.  i am not too concerned
> > with what people believe, its how they act that matters to me (speech
> > is an act, especially if one convinces others to act).
> >

> It's a matter of religion...and those are deep waters. My understanding
> is that the most important of the commandments is to love God above
> everything else. Yo deny him, and to make people lose faith is a serious
> offense.

Become a Buddhist.  You aren't asked to have belief in anything, only
to act properly and have compassion.  If Stallman is evil because he
is atheist, a huge number of other eminent people are evil too.

> >         Stallman "receives satisfaction in harming others"?  I dont
> > know what factual information this is based on....
>
> He is happy with the work he has done, hasn't he? He shows in his
> writings hatred against commercial software writers. He harms commercial
> software with his license and he knows it. Pablo Escobar, whom you've
> probably heard of, was also thought to be a saint in Medellin because he
> built houses for many poor people while he was on political campaign. I
> don't have any idea how many North American parents still cry when they
> see what their kids did with that money.
>
> I am not saying Stallman is Hitler, but the fact that he does some good
> things and that he is popular doesn't mean he is not evil.

This is atrocious.  How does his license harm commercial software?
Would you prefer that he used a commercial license?  The people who
wrote that software chose that license, if you don't like it don't use
it, but don't argue that it harms you merely by existing. He argues
against commercial software, but you're free to agree with him or not.
You can't call a man evil for holding some opinions and voicing them.

Rahul.