From:      Tomaz Borstnar <tomaz.borstnar@over.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   more general mail relaying solution - Was: RE: Sendmail

At 01:28 13.6.99 , Khetan Gajjar wrote the following message:
>This is fine if the IP's are static, and only authorised users are
>using it; otherwise, you're opening your system to relaying abuse
>by other people.
>
>Otherwise, something like
>http://www.cynic.net/~cjs/computer/sendmail/poprelay.html
>should work nicely.

Nice SMTP server is zmailer - http://www.zmailer.org - it supports WHOSON
protocol (included in contrib part of distribution) which lets zmailer
check WHOSON daemon for temporary authorized IPs to relay. You patch all
aps to communicate IP to whosond so zmailer can check for them when unknown
hosts try to relay. Patching is very simple - bare bones examples are 2
lines in one .c and modification of Makefile to include whoson files -
included are patch for imap and radiusd. I patched  cucipop to use whoson -
it works nicely here for some time.

Whoson is general solution which works via unix domain sockets, udp and tcp.

Tomaz

----
Tomaz Borstnar <tomaz.borstnar@over.net>
"Love is the answer to the final question you ask" - Unknown