Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:17:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvs/rcs/sccs&scripting

Greetings,

I'm setting up a project and would like your input?.  We currently have
several systems from different vendors running Freebsd.  Because the
systems are from different vendors, running differant versions of the OS,
etc, I've decided to archive a subset of files.  For instance the modified
kernel config.  Every couple hours from the config server I want to start
a shell, telnet to the box, login , ftp the config back to the server,
then log off.  Then use either cvsup or SCCS to arcive the config.  In the
event we change something that negatively effects us we could look
SCCS/CVS and find out when the last change was made, what was the config
on this date, what is the difference from the new config and a config from
two days ago.

Would you recommend SCCS, cvs or something else for doing this?  Are there
any guidelines or tutorials for interacte shell scripts...IE Passing a
user name and password via telnet, ftp etc. ???  No, I can't use
rsh/ssh/scp/rcp because I want the same scripting to work for routers and
switches that can only do ftp or tftp.  Any help, pointers or other info
would be welcomed.

JRS