Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:08:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

> 	The "pipe" notion is very interesting.  It's very much like
> 	a flow -- that would make FW rule writing much easier.

it's more an aggregation of flows. This makes things even easier to
handle since rules tend to match a single flow but the processing
occurs on the aggregation of flows if needed.

> 	Yes!  I like this very much.  We would then be able to have=20
> 	"flows" from one point to another, and to control their
> 	max. throughput -- what about "garanteed" or minimum bandwidth ?

you'd need priorities for that. Of course if you can do things like

	$fw add 100 accept ip from ${here} to ${there}
	$fw add 65533 pipe 1 from any to any

	$fw pipe 1 configure bandwidth 3m

your privileged traffic will get the difference.
Also if you make sure that the aggregate bw for all "pipes" does
not exceed the total bw of your network, your bandwidth becomes
guaranteed.

	cheers
	luigi