Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:04:08 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: silly C style question

On Saturday, 27th January 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>> > [Josef's compact format]
>>
>> But neither of the compact formats can be easily read.  To be certain
>> what it they are doing, you have to laboriously trace the brackets, or
>> hop about in them using vi's % operator.  I admit I write all of mine in
>> such a compact style, but always wonder what it would be like to get
>> away with the clear but hugely "wasteful" of vertical space Basser format.
>> I can't imagine such a format lasting long in a commit to /sys/anything
>> around here. ;-)
>
>I think that the compact form is significantly easier to read.  It
>lets a reader compute the result of a subexpression, and then ignore
>everything at that indentation level, basd on a single result.

It was fun going a few rounds of the old Indenting Wars, but it's reached
the inevitable end.  I'm claiming readability for the verbose Basser format
while you are claiming the same readability advantage for your format
(using exactly the same argument I use to support the Basser format but
somehow ending up favouring your format).

The only option now is fisticuffs, and I'm no good at that.  I'll go back
to coding in K&R (and worse) to match work coding standards, and we'll
meet back here for another argument, say, this time next year, or perhaps
the year after.

Cheers,

Stephen.