Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:23:52 +0100
From:      "'Wilko Bulte'" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Thomas Kovacs <Thomas.Kovacs@t-online.de>
Cc:        "'Andrew Gallatin'" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AW: AW: as2100 unexpected machine check while installing

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:33:06AM -0800, Thomas Kovacs wrote:
> Ok. I tried your build. The Mylex is being recognised. Disklabel is
> writing information's onto the disks and the "partitions" (sorry, still
> thinking in NT...) where successfully created. Then I choose "minimal"
> and the installation starts. And now to the part, where I was nearly
> started crying:
>
> - the copy process gets slower and slower
> - it seems like the machine freezes
>
> when I opened the console "alt+f2" I saw this nice messages:
>
> -> mlx0: I/O error - attempt to write beyond end of drive
>
> I updated the Mylex bios to 2.7 (3.xx would work but I don't know by now
> where to get this 2nd chip...) I went back to NT console and installed
> it. It worked...
> Restarted the FreeBSD installation. Same error.
>
> Any ideas???

I think I remember Mike (msmith@freebsd.org) mentioning that 2.x firmware
on the Mylex is not a lot of fun. Forgot any details though. I once checked
with Mylex and found out you need a specific minimum hardware rev before
you can go to 3.x firmware. If that is only the second flash rom I don't
know. I have given up on the DAC960s I had and sold them ;)

W/