Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:46:40 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ler@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ./dovecot start  Can't open file /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem

Hi ports@
Anyone else seen this or got ideas please:
cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d; ./dovecot start
	Can't open file /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
/usr/ports/mail/dovecot MAINTAINER=     ler@FreeBSD.org	cc'd
pkg info dovecot-2.3.4.1  Secure, fast and powerful IMAP and POP3 server

I'm happily running dovecot-1.2.17_6 K on another 10.3-STABLE  with no ssl.

This host is 12.0-RELEASE-p3 (was previously much older , but I
upgraded & moved the conf file which it hints at below)
I have tried adding ssl=no but it still errors
  doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf line 12: ssl_cert: Can't open file /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem: No such file or directory

Commenting them out in /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf :
##JHS## ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
##JHS## ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

doveconf: Warning: Dovecot was last started using /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf, but this config is /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
Starting dovecot.
./dovecot: WARNING: failed to start dovecot

only in one of many earlier /var/log/messages do I see more:
	dovecot[2551]: master: Fatal: Failed to start listeners

dovecot -n
--------
# 2.3.4.1 (f79e8e7e4): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p3 amd64
doveconf: Warning: Dovecot was last started using /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf, but this config is /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
---------

I had in /etc/make.conf : DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
(inherited in a jail from a prison)
I've now removed it & doing cd /usr/src; make all

I feel port is incomplete ? missing some README or so, to point how these
	/etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
	/etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
should be made, or where I should symbolic link to & how made there ?
Ideas/ hints please ?, Thanks

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent
 Brexit now minority:  2.1 M now over 18, More Remainers;  1.5 M died, less