Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 19:18:32 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-2.2.0_1

On Sun 2001-05-13 (19:13), Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> with that specifice setup we could also remove heuristics for
> recognition of a package version from /var/db/pkg by creating
> /var/db/pkg/repo/<name>-<version> and symlinking that from
> /var/db/pkg/<name>.
>
> this, as a direct consequence, would enable us to implement an upgrade
> tarket to the ports make system which would deinstall the old version
> and install the new version without guessing the names and versions like
> it is currently done.

As I've mentioned to you before, there is no difference between
"foo/1.3" and "foo-1.3".  It won't make upgrading or whatever any easier
to change it to your scheme.  It might look nicer to some or something,
but it won't make a difference technically.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org