Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:10:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FEC on 5.x

Hello,

[taken from -hackers]

> Can you try use tcpdump to comparte something that works with the code
> that doesn't.
tcpdump -i fec0 shows the following:
if I ping our-router I see the packages going out, but nothing coming
back.
The switch shows 0 input packets.

I pinged the machine, then it paniced (please, somebody tell me, what
should I do if I don't have a kern.dumpdev sysctl and ddb> panic can't
write a crashdump ->
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-hackers&m=104107316521812&w=2)

BTW, the switch shows output packets, but tcpdump has nothing incoming...

This happened last week.

Today I tried again and got the following results:

tcpdump -i fec0 shows outgoing pings, but there are no incoming packets.
tcpdump -i fxp0 & tcpdump -i fxp1 shows the incoming "noise" (bridge STP
negotiations, etc), but do not show any traces of the outgoing ICMP
packets.

So it seems the fec0 interface has no connection with the fxp[0-1] ones.

How could I do more testing? Would a serial console to the machine help?
It's for testing purposes...

Finally, here is what I did:

ifconfig fxp0 up
ifconfig fxp1 up
ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"fxp0"'
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"fxp1"'
ngctl msg fec0: set_mode_inet
ifconfig fec0 a.b.c.d netmask 255.255.255.252 up

The interface becomes up (according to the switch and FreeBSD) and shows
the above effects.

----------[ Free Software ISOs - http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download ]----------
Attila Nagy					e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)		  phone @work: +361 210 1415 (194)