Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 15:04:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp/slip via telnet/rlogin

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Michael Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Now, firstly, your diagram wasn't worth spit, which is why I never bothered
> > > trying to make sense of the accompanying message.  Second, you're _still_
> > > not explaining what you're trying to do.
> I think we've second recipient of the poul henning award for diplomacy
> >
> > 	Okay, hopefully I can explain it better here...
> >
> > > So, in the hope that we'll get your two-stroke neuron ticking over, let's
> > > ask a few questions :
> Yes, definitly a candidate..
> > >

> Ok I understand the problem as I've tried to do the same
> thing..
> What he wants to do is set up a path, which is part dialup line, and part
> telnet session, to a machine where he can run a slip (or ppp) server..
> on starting up slip on the far machine he would like to then suspend the
> terminal session, and start slip on the local end..
> in other words, he wants to be able to log in through a pty and have a
> sliplogin start up, back through the telnet session  AND the dialup
> link.

	Sounds right and also for the local machine, it would be using a
class C address that's part of the far machine.

> I did do this once, but then the old slip and ppp code was changed,
> so that they would specifically test for a pty before pushing themselves
> onto the tty, and refuse if it was.. I thing someone thought this was
> a good idea but I don't know who.. if you can run iij as a login
> then it may still be able to do this as it doesn't use the  kernel ppp
> module (which explicitly refuses to do this)
> >
> I haven't played with iij  so don't know how either of those enter into the
> picture..

	Hmmm, hopefully it can do it since isn't SLiRP basically based on
FreeBSD networking code so all that really needs to be changed is to use
real ip numbers instead of a emulated one.

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin