Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:57:08 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to build "graphics/gd"

On Sunday 19 July 2009 11:08:31 am Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:23:27PM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
> > On, Sun Jul 19, 2009, Jerry wrote:
> > > On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:00:30 +0200
> > > Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > Thanks, that fixed it. Strange, but I have not had that problem before.
> >
> > Just for informational purposes:
> >
> > It is a problem with how the FreeBSD upgrade tools work and how a port
> > (read: application, library, whatever) manages its own build.
> >
> > Usually a port, in case it links to one of its own components, should do
> > that by using the just built component in its build directory. Some of
> > them however do not do that but use the complete system environment,
> > thus it can happen that they link to e.g. an older version of themselves
> > or so, causing anything to fail as you just noticed.
>
> In this case, the port was trying to link against the just built version
> of its shared library, it just also tries to link against some other
> libraries from other ports and puts -L/usr/local/lib earlier in the search
> path than the path to the newly built libgd.so so the linker picks up
> libgd.so from /usr/local/lib and uses that, hence the failure above.  I
> saw the same problem.
>
> So just a little variant on what you said.  Its trying to do the right
> thing but just getting the ordering wrong.

I did the recursive pkg_delete as specified in UPDATING and now I have an
unworkable KDE. Everything wants to reinstall jpeg-6, which fails because it
is already installed. That left me with around 20 modules required by KDE
that wouldn't build. When the current portupgrade fails, I will do the
PKG_FORCE thing but I shouldn't have to do that.

GD not building is just a small piece of the problem.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA