Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:29:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: truss and /sbin/init

Jens Trzaska <jt@barfoos.de> wrote:
 > David Kirchner <dpk@dpk.net> [2006-02-08 16:53]:
 > > The memory is apparently locked in core, according to the L flag for
 > > 'ps'. This should probably be documented in the truss man page to
 > > avoid confusion.
 >
 > Does you or perhaps someone else know why init is locked in core? Its
 > not the case in 4.x and I can't see why a regular userspace process
 > is locked.

It _is_ the case in 4.x:

$ uname -rs
FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
$ ps -p 1
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
    1  ??  ILs    0:17.41 /sbin/init --

As for the reason:  Well, init(8) is special.  Its existence
is critical for the running system, so it cannot be paged
out to swap space.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.