Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:17:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Ertan Kucukoglu <ert@hotpop.com>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, FreeBSD <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Proxy Server Recommendations ...

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Ertan Kucukoglu wrote:

> > On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >

> > > Looking at reducing bandwidth usage at our local University, and have
> > > proposed setting up a proxy server so that there isn't *as much* traffic
> > > going out related to the WWW ...
> > >
> > > Anyone have any recommendations on one that is good?  I'm going to be
> > > running the test on a FreeBSD box, and trying to push it as an end
> > > solution, so something in ports is great...
> >
> > Squid -- ports/www/squid22.  I have been using it for a couple of
> > years, ranging from a 486SX-25 with 16MB RAM and a 50MB cache, to a
> > PIII-500 with 256MB RAM and a 19GB cache (it doesn't need much CPU,
> > really, but RAM requirements go up with the number of objects being
> > cached).  If my figures are right, it cuts down on our HTTP and FTP
> > traffic by about 30%.  Depending on your traffic patterns, the results
> > could be either better or worse.
> >

> > -- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
> >    FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
> >    For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
> >    ( http://www.freebsd.org )
> >
> >    "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
> >     courage to trust Windows with your data."
> >

> Hello,
>
> As an information you can get the latest version from
> http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/
> and comple and use it as well.

compiled it out of ports, installed it, and started it up...starts fine,
but wen I try to use, I get:

===========
Access Denied.

     Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed
     at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this
     is incorrect.

Just want a plain-jane cache here, but am not sure where it is that I've
mis-configured...right now, squid and my browser are running on the same
machine, and using 'client http://www.netscape.com/' worked...

Still looking through the conf, but if someone can point me at what I'm
missing, that would be much appreciated...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org