Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:13:50 -0400
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb@struchtrup.com>
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

>> (10.13.2004 @ 2246 PST): David O'Brien said, in 1.8K: <<
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 12:25:22AM +0200, Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup wrote:
> > David O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > >OPTIONS isn't the answer -- they don't do anything for 'pkg_add -r'
> > >users.
> > >
> > That's a problem. I agree.
> > But what about ports having 10 different options?
> > Probably it would make sense to build the most common configurations in
> > such a case.
> > On the other hand, the user must know which package to add for a given
> > port with a given config.
> > I am not familiar with packages and package building in detail.
>
> You only have to be as famiar with pre-built package flavors as you are
> with build OPTIONS.  How do you know which compile options you want?  For
> which package flavor to install, you can use 'sysinstall' which will
> show you both the 1-line desciption along with the longer one to help you
> in your choices.
>

> > >Since we go to a *lot* of work building packages and making them
> > >available there must be a huge number of consumers of them.  We should be
> > >making more port variations.  vim-gtk, vim-kde, vim-athena, vim-motif for
> > >instance.  That way a pkg_add user and get what they want.
> > >
> > I assume that this is currently done by hand? To say build the vim port
> > with options --with-gtk, --with-kde and --with_arena?
> > Or is there a way to set this in a Makefile? Not only altering the
> > package name from vim to vim-xxx, but to define configurations for
> > automatic package building?
>
> Currently one defines WITH_* knobs and then compiles.  One of the WITH_
> knobs is the default GUI build.  For non-X11 GUI there is the 'vim-lite'
> port.
>> end of "Re: alternative options for ports" from David O'Brien <<

Ohhh... you know, until now, I didn't know that that's what the vim-lite
package is. David, could you please consider making note of that in the
COMMENT string or by creating a vim-lite/pkg-descr or something? I had
thought that the only way to get vim without X11 was to compile vim
-DWITHOUT_X11.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger