Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:42:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Fleck <dcf@aracnet.com>
To:        mikemcg@ucla.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Portland Linux / Unix Group <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject:   Re: automatic standby after idle timeout

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, mike mcgranahan wrote:
> thanks for the info.  i do use xset for controlling
> dpms in X, but i am interested in something that will
> a) put the system into standby, not just the monitor,
> and b) work regardless of X running.
>
> any other suggestions or ideas?  i'm finally switching
> from windows to unix "full-time", so i am stuck
> choosing between freebsd and linux (gentoo).  i really
> like freebsd's integration, configuration,
> documentation and ports system, but auto-standby is
> important to me.  thie absence of this feature seems
> to me to be a significant, though not vital,
> omission--particularly useful in computer labs.  is
> anyone aware of a more general daemon or facility that
> can execute a command after a certain period of system
> idleness... perhaps some modified cron?

I'm not sure what is involved in putting the *system* into standby, as
compared to just the monitor - Linux distros usually provide a utility
called 'hdparm' to set spin-down and sleep times for IDE drives, don't
know if theres a SCSI equivalent.  I haven't found a similar utility in
FreeBSD - possibly one of the tunables mentioned in 'man ata' or 'man
tuning' would do it, I haven't looked very hard.

--
David Fleck
dcf@aracnet.com