Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:10:37 -0300
From:      Garry Hill <garry@wildawake.net>
To:        Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new 5.1 install network problem.

>>Name resolution is not working and the network connection
>>seems to be timing out a lot as all network functions are
>>very sluggish. For instance, I CAN ping the IP of my
>>name server, however even though the response is less
>>than 1ms, there is about 80% packet loss.

i was having a very similar problem a while ago. losing 33% of my pings but in my case i couldn't download past 1024 bytes of
anything and that not often.

in my case it turned out to be a dodgy cable... some kind of internal wire smudge that meant although it looked like a full connection
(all lights on etc) it just didn't work with my cards (except on my Mac, which took it fine).

have you tried changing the cable?