Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:02:41 -0500
From:      Robert Hough <rch@solveinteractive.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good server motherboard?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001, Ed Henderson wrote:

> 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good MB to use?

I like the Tyan boards for reliability. They are strong performers too,
but other boards are known to be faster. I've got several Tyan Tomcats
that have been running for close 3-4 years non-stop, without any problems.

> Or a suggestion where to look?

Tom's hardware guide is generally a good source of hardware
information. I'm sure there are many others as well.

> 2. How about some that have built in RAID 1?

I'd keep away from boards with "built" in components. They are nice for
workstations, but I'd avoid them on production servers.

> 3. Any inexpensive (but reliable) tape drive suggestions?

I'm stuck in the DLT world, nothing inexpensive about that, but then
again, it's been my experience that when you go cheap in your emergency
restoration department - it fails you at the worst possible time...

--
Robert Hough (rch@solveinteractive.com)