Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:38:08 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>, Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HACKED & SECURITY

FreeBSD Questions wrote:

> How can I be sure this guy still not in getting our passwds?
> We had a hack with a sniffer so we upgraded to qpopper 2.53, still risks?
>
> Thanks

If someone hacked your system using a sniffer (presumably to sniff out POP3
passwords, which may be attached to shell accounts on that system) your not
going to stop them by upgrading your POP3 server... :-(

I always try to have shell accounts via SSH, and POP3 accounts with different
usernames / passwords to the shell accounts (i.e. me = paranoid) <G>

-Kp