Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:24:22 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        davidg@autodebit.com (David Green-Seed)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual boot problems

David Green-Seed wrote:

> Here's my problem:
>
> at 10:21pm PST (Jan 19th 1998) I cvsupped world, rebuilt, installed the new
> boot blocks, and did a first-time install of an ELF kernel.  Unfortunately,
> I'm
> dual-booting with windows 95 using fbsdboot.exe - which I just discovered
> does not work with an ELF kernel.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem (and what did you do to fix it) or does
> anyone have any suggestions (other than getting rid of windows 95)?  I've
> checked around - and the only thing that I can come up with is that NTLDR
> (the windows NT loader) will boot an elf FreeBSD using the new boot
> blocks...
> but I don't have NT.
>
> Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

The fbsdboot.exe program should probably be considered obsolete.  It
should (in theory) be possible to use it to load /boot/loader, which
can then load the kernel, but there are various reasons this doesn't
work too well.

The standard approach would be to install the FreeBSD boot manager.
This displays a menu like

    F1   DOS
    F2   FreeBSD

every time the machine is rebooted.  So, whether in FreeBSD or
Windows, you'd reboot to switch OSes.

To install this, there's a utility at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot0inst-1.0.2.tar.gz

though you can also use sysinstall.

There are also various alternative boot managers, commercial and
otherwise.  System Commander from V-Communications seems fairly
popular: though I wouldn't personally pay a $100 list price for
this kind of thing.

--
Robert Nordier